2014 $10 FINE SILVER COIN - O CANADA - CANADIAN HOLIDAY SCENE
The tenth and final coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 2014 O Canada series focusing on iconic Canadian images celebrates a uniquely Canadian winter holiday moment.
Item Number: 129007
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 15.87
Diameter (mm): 34
Face Value: $10
Finish: Matte Proof
Artist: Doug Geldart
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- Masterfully crafted by Royal Canadian Mint engravers using a variety of engraving techniques and finishes to bring depth and texture to the artist’s rich original depiction of an iconic Canadian winter scene.
- A limited mintage of 40,000 coins and captivating theme means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors.
- Own a piece of the Canadian experience, painstakingly captured in a half-ounce of 99.99% pure silver.
- An excellent addition to any holiday-themed, nature-focused, winter-themed or Canadiana-themed collection.
- A beautiful gift or collectible for those who love coins that capture precious moments, rural scenes, the outdoors, natural images, original artwork, and Canadian themes.
The evocative reverse design by Canadian artist Doug Geldart presents a winter scene that captures the essence of cozy holiday scenery in Canada. In this festive image that highlights Canada’s rural experience, we see the rolling hills and show-covered boreal landscape familiar to people across Canada. On the left of the coin, a quaint country house with sharply peaked roof and screened-in porch anchors the rich scene. A snowy path, recently shovelled, leads from the viewer to the home, curving from the centre of the reverse field’s bottom toward the house. Along the pathway, we meet, first, a waving, top-hatted snowman wearing a warm scarf and holding a wrapped gift box under one tree-branch “arm,” and then an old-fashioned letter box decorated with a holiday wreath. Opposite the house is a large conifer covered in snow and decorated with glass holiday balls. Behind the house, in the central background, we see the end of a dock jutting out over a frozen, snow-covered lake. Human footprints lead from the front door of the house, down across the lake and—in the far distance—toward a neighbouring home on the distant shore. The meandering shoreline is lined with bare deciduous trees and snow-covered pines. On the horizon, snowy hills dotted with conifers draw the eye upward, toward a sky in which three lone birds fly. The outer frame of the image also features a stylized gift box, festively wrapped for the holiday season