2014 $5 PURE GOLD COIN O CANADA - BISON
The fourth gold coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 2014 O Canada series focusing on iconic Canadian images, this coin features one of Canada’s most potent wildlife symbols: the ancient and powerful bison.
Item Number: 129724
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight (g)*: 3.14
Diameter (mm): 16
Face Value: $5
Artist: Trevor Tennant
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
Finished size: 67 mm x 67 mm
- The fourth and final gold coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 2014 O Canada series featuring iconic images celebrating all that makes Canada unique!
- Masterfully crafted by Royal Canadian Mint engravers using a variety of engraving techniques and finishes to bring depth and texture to this stunning image of Canadian wildlife.
- A very limited mintage of only 4,000 coins means that this piece is sure to be highly sought after by collectors.
- Own a piece of Canada’s natural beautiful, painstakingly captured in a half-ounce of 99.99% pure gold.
- An excellent addition to any nature-focused or Canadiana collection.
- A beautiful gift or collectible for those who love wildlife, natural images, original artwork, and Canadian themes.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Trevor Tennant presents a full-body profile portrait of a bison in its natural habitat. Viewed from its right side with its head and hindquarters arched toward the viewer, a massive North American bison bull stands with one hind leg raised in mid-stride. Its shaggy beard, blunt nose, small eye, and upturned horns are presented to stunning effect through the masterful use of varied finishes and engraving. The powerfully muscled, hunched back and fur-lined forelimbs give way to a low sloped hind section ending in a short fringed tail. On the bison’s abdomen we see scars from ancient battles with other bulls and perhaps predators like wolves. The dust seems to rise from beneath the bulky mass of the plains giant as its feet stir the scraggly open grassland.