Canadians have a deep, enduring connection with nature that is evidenced by the many activities we enjoy outside throughout the year—summer, winter, rain or sun! This four-coin series explores a nation at play in our favourite playground, the Canadian landscape, beginning with a luminous re-creation of night conditions at a mountain ski resort.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 23.17
Diameter (mm): 36.07
Face Value: $15
Artist: Joel Kimmel
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- FIRST in a new series! Each 99.99% pure silver coin in thefour-coin Great Canadian Outdoors series combines fullcolour over engraving with photo-luminescent (glow-in-the-dark) technology.
- NEW! A LUMINOUS celebration of the love Canadians sharefor the great outdoors, through some of our favouriteseasonal activities.
- A warm, life-like glow: The stars, the floodlights lining theski runs…even the light cast on the trail and the skier’sback—these illuminated elements dazzle thanks to theseamless integration of glow-in-the-dark technology thatrecreates this perfect winter evening.
- Magnificent in daylight AND breathtaking in the dark: Toactivate the technology, place the coin under a light sourcefor 30 to 60 seconds then move into darkness. The entireimage will still be visible in the dark, even in its capsule!
- An exquisite gift to relieve shared memories of fun-filledwinter activities, or simply to appreciate Canada’sscenic—and seasonal—splendours!
The reverse design by Joel Kimmel combines life-like and stylized elements in this depiction of night skiing, where the view is truly breathtaking! Far from the grey, black and white that many associate with winter colours, the setting is dominated by the cool-toned hues of blue and purple cast by moonlight. The engraving itself gives the design a sense of layered dimension, with the mountain range rising up in the background. In the foreground, the brightly coloured skier carves their way down the slope and past the snow-covered evergreens, sending plumes of powder snow in the air behind them. The entire scene is further enhanced by the seamless integration of photo-luminescent (glow-in-the-dark) technology that mimics twilight; it softly illuminates the entire scene while adding a bright glow to the stars and moon overhead, the amber lights that edge the ski trails, even our skier’s run.