First used as a symbol for this land in the 1700s, the maple leaf continues to inspire a sense of pride and belonging in the people it represents, and whose endeavours have made the leaf a shining icon of freedom and inclusion. The Royal Canadian Mint proudly celebrates a nation’s 150 years of history through this fine silver coin, whose unique shape recreates Canada’s most revered national emblem.
Item Number: 157268
Composition: 99.99% fine silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 42 X 43
Face Value: $20
Artist: Joel Kimmel
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Introducing another RCM FIRST: selective gold plating on a maple leaf-shaped coin.
- A fitting way to celebrate Canada through its beloved national emblem—particularly on the 150th anniversary of Confederation.
- Adding to the complexities of recreating the maple leaf shape, the coin’s reverse layers intricate engraving, multiple finishes and stunning gold plating technology—all in one stunning coin that stands as a true feat of engineering!
- Selective gold plating creates a magnificent contrast between the plated elements and the coin’s 99.99% pure silver surface, and further enhances the outstanding craftsmanship.
- The first maple leaf shaped silver coin sold out in just two days! This third leaf-shaped coin will also be sought-after by collectors, who will value its artistry and its symbolic expression of national pride during Canada’s milestone year.
Careful sculpting and finely detailed engraving capture the natural beauty of sugar maple (Acer saccharum) leaves in all their intricate beauty. A true-to-life recreation of the leaf’s silhouette, the coin’s unusual shape provides a fitting canvas for this celebration of a Canadian icon, whose irregular edges and five palmate lobes have been painstakingly replicated through a labour-intensive process. The reverse design by Canadian artist Joel Kimmel includes multiple engraved maple leaves that fill the entirety of the reverse. The scattered positioning of these leaves deliberately evokes an autumn day, when the leaves have softly tumbled to cover the ground. While the reverse also features the engraved face value “20 DOLLARS” and the year “2017”, the spotlight shines brightly on the three gilded maple leaves that each represent 50 years of Canadian history—a symbolic nod to the 150th anniversary of Confederation. The selective application of gold plating technology further enhances the deeply engraved veining, while giving each leaf a rich golden hue that shines as bright as a sunny autumn day.