Canada’s largest wild feline is known for using the element of surprise to its advantage. Closely stalking its unsuspecting target, the secretive cougar waits discreetly for just the right moment to pounce… as it does on the reverse of this fine silver coin, where a 3D element creates the illusion that the cougar is leaping out of the coin!
- A jaw-dropping 3D coin that captures Canadian wildlife in motion.
- Canada’s most powerful big cat appears to jump out from behind its protective cover—and beyond the coin’s surface!
- This “leaping” cougar is the result of a combined printing and embossing process known as thermoforming, which transforms a 2D shape into an inspiring 3D element.
- Detailed engraving re-creates the cougar’s mountainous habitat! The reverse serves as an exquisite “backdrop” to the innovative technology that adds a sense of motion and dimension to the multi-layered design.
- Crafted from 99.99% pure silver with a low mintage worldwide, the coin’s 3D effect makes it a prized addition to any nature or wildlife-themed collection, or those featuring innovative technologies.
Item Number: 160349
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Matt Bowen
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
The reverse design by Royal Canadian Mint engraver Matt Bowen features a stunning three-dimensional rendering of a cougar (Puma concolor) in mid-leap. This shaped element is the product of a process known as thermoforming, which captures the big cat’s likeness in exceptional detail—from the long tail to the large forepaws, and the eyes that guide the hunt. Pushing off its long and muscular hind legs, the embossed cougar springs forward and seemingly leaps out of the coin! Behind it, finely detailed engraving provides an exquisite backdrop for the 3D cougar element, which seems perfectly at home in the rocky, semi-open terrain. Selective colour highlights our stealthy hunter by re-creating its reddish-brown fur, its green eyes, and the contrasting colours that mark the muzzle.