2017 $20 FINE SILVER COIN TRADITIONAL PYSANKA
Colourfully captivating, an intricately written pysanka is a breathtaking celebration of life and rebirth! It is more than an Easter egg—each one is a work of art that is steeped in tradition, with carefully layered colours and centuries-old motifs that are as meaningful as they are mesmerizing. Through its colourful artistry, this egg-shaped coin pays tribute to Ukrainian-Canadian culture through an art form that has become a cherished part of Canada’s vibrant multicultural heritage.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.82
Diameter (mm): 45 long x 33 wide
Face Value: $20
Interrupted Serrations: Ann C. Morash
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Only the second egg-shaped coin issued by the Royal Canadian Mint—a fitting canvas for re-creating the handcrafted artistry of a Ukrainian Easter egg.
- The selective application of rich colour allows every detail to shine, and adds an incredible vibrancy that is perfectly in step with a real pysanka.
- A celebration of the proud traditions of Ukrainian-Canadians, whose contributions have helped shape Canada’s multicultural heritage.
- Crafted from 99.99% pure silver with a low mintage set to just 5,000 coins. The first egg-shaped coin sold out fast—and this one is sure to be just as popular!
- A timeless cultural celebration of Easter, or a meaningful gift for any springtime occasion!
- A perfect fit with collectors seeking uniquely shaped coins any collectibles that combine skilful engineering with breathtaking artistry!
The egg-shaped reverse design by Canadian artist Ann C. Morash weaves together patterns and symbols that capture the artistry of a Ukrainian Easter Egg. Positioned within four triangular segments are golden blades of wheat, which convey best wishes for harvest and the soul of the clan. Beneath this overlay, the field is filled with the geometric figures that represent the sun and stars, to symbolize life, fortune and growth. These are framed by bands of waves that celebrate water as a life-sustaining element and harmony, which are in turn framed by evergreen boughs positioned along the edge, to symbolize eternal health and youth.
All are beautifully enhanced by the meticulous application of colours that each carry deeper meaning: yellow represents light and purity; red is the colour of joy and folklore; green is associated with fertility, health and spring, which brings hope and renewal; and black suggests the darkest time before dawn, and the idea of constancy and eternity.