2018 $200 PURE GOLD COIN – THE 1908 SOVEREIGN 110TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
Step into the past with a fully gold-plated 99.999% pure gold tribute to the 1908 British gold sovereign coin, which represents an important piece of the Royal Canadian Mint’s 110-year history. With the exception of the amended date of “2018”, the reverse design is nearly identical to the original piece, including the same “C” mint mark that stands for “Canada”.
Item Number: 170469
Composition: 99.999% pure gold
Weight: 31.16 g
Diameter: 30 mm
Face Value: $200
Edge: Interrupted serrations
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- A special 110th anniversary celebration: A stunning reproduction of the first gold coin ever struck by the Royal Canadian Mint (then the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint): the 1908 British gold sovereign coin.
- A 5-9s pure gold tribute. Crafted from 99.999% pure gold, this tribute piece is fully gold-plated to resemble the world-renowned gold coin.
- A rarely seen effigy: Like its original counterpart, the coin’s obverse features the effigy of King Edward VII.
- An enhanced finish: Unlike the specimen finish of the 1908 British sovereigns, this a proof finish that naturally highlights the intricate nature of this classic design.
- A slightly larger canvas: The 30 mm diameter is larger than the original coin’s 22.05 mm diameter, and provides a better view of the supremely sculpted details.
- A piece for history enthusiasts: This tribute to the original 1908 sovereign represents a piece of our history, and world numismatic history too. It is an ideal addition to any history-themed collection.
The reverse features Benedetto Pistrucci’s neoclassical-style design for the British gold Sovereign, as it appeared on coins struck by the Ottawa Branch of the Royal Mint in 1908. Saint George is shown on horseback, his left hand holding the reins while his right hand holds a sword. A dragon lies wounded at the horse’s feet. Above the amended date, “2018”, a “C” mint mark denotes the country of production (Canada). The obverse features the original legend “EDWARDVS VII D: G: BRITT: OMN: REX: F: D: IND: IMP:” meaning “Edward VII: By The Grace of God, Of All the Britains, King, Defender of the Faith, and Emperor of India”, and the effigy of King Edward VII by George W. DeSaulles.