2018 $25 FINE SILVER PIEDFORT 250TH ANNIVERSARY OF TECUMSEH’S BIRTH
Warrior. Leader. Visionary. Fuelled by a desire to protect his homeland, Tecumseh (1768-1813) is remembered as one of the great military heroes of the War of 1812. On the 250th anniversary of his birth, this fine silver coin honours the life and legacy of this legendary Shawnee war leader, whose beliefs, triumphs and sacrifice are woven into the complex fabric of this nation’s history.
Item Number: 166404
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 34
Face Value: $25
Artist: Mary McPherson
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with a standard black beauty box
- A PIEDFORT: Twice the thickness of a typical coin. Piedforts are thicker than normal and often contain double the amount of silver.
- HISTORY AND TRADITION: This fine silver piedfort commemorates the 250th anniversary of the birth of Tecumseh — a key figure in the War of 1812, and ultimately in Canadian history.
- A PORTRAIT OF A LEADER: Since there are no official portraits extant of this famous leader, ours is based on extensive research to present the most historically accurate representation possible.
- SYMBOLIC IMAGERY: Illuminated by the mirror-like shine of a beautiful proof finish, the engraved reverse includes a number of highly symbolic elements that allude to Tecumseh’s enduring legacy.
- WORLD-CLASS CRAFTSMANSHIP: Each coin is crafted in 99.99% pure silver and precisely struck to ensure a crisp impression that makes this a work of art—one that easily fits in the palm of your hand.
The reverse design by artist Mary McPherson presents a detail-rich portrait of Tecumseh, shown in three-quarter view. His gaze trained ahead, the visionary war leader is dressed in traditional clothing and wears the King George III medal around his neck. He is flanked by an American eagle on one side and a British lion on the other; this deliberate positioning reflects Tecumseh’s role in the War of 1812 as a key military ally of Upper Canada, which is further emphasized by the maple leaves above him. Between the leaves is an artistic representation of a shooting star on a rising path, for which Tecumseh was named. Trees and clouds fill the field and hint at an indigenous worldview that he is part of a universal process, and had fought on behalf of all who shared the land and sky. Two scroll banners bear the engraved words “CANADA” and “25 DOLLAR”, while the year “2018” is inscribed below. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.