Only a coin as grand as this could ever capture the spirit of exploration that lured thousands of Europeans into the wilderness for fur. Travelling to the Great Lakes from Montreal was a gruelling voyage. Voyageurs paddled 50 strokes a minute, and carried hundreds of kilograms across perilous portages. Their endurance, strength and courage were unimaginable, but the lure of money and adventure was stronger still. By the start of the 18th century, 25% of Montreal’s men were voyageurs—regardless of class or social status. To this day, riding untamed waters remains a great all-Canadian thrill. Join the adventure, and experience life as a voyageur with this superlative coin!
Item Number: 167962
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 1,010 g
Diameter: 161.8 mm X 100 mm
Face Value: $250
Artist: Matt Bowen
Packaging: Custom wood case
- Our FIRST-EVER kilogram coin featuring an oval and concave shape, with ultra-high relief and antique finish, to create an exquisite and highly collectible numismatic treasure.
- Large oval beautifully frames the design while its concave shape heightens the sense of perspective for an unforgettable immersive experience celebrating the voyageurs of Canada’s founding industry.
- Ultra-high relief delivers incredible depth and dimension which are further enhanced by the coin’s antique finish. This coin’s powerful visual narrative was crafted in compliance with the strict technical requirements of minting—an exceptional achievement in art and technology!
- An epic masterpiece commemorating the voyageur, a key figure in Canadian history that continues to ignite the imagination today. This coin is a rare and upscale treasure to indulge the most dedicated history enthusiasts, especially those with a heightened interest in the fur trade and its daring voyageurs.
- This remarkable masterpiece showcases incredible artistry and the Mint’s technical prowess that has made it a global leader for over a century.
- A masterpiece of epic proportions. This coin measures an amazing 161.8 millimetres across its length,and is struck in 1 kilogram of fine silver.
- Only 400 coins worldwide—this coin is a numismatic treasure of the highest order and an exclusive collecting opportunity not to be missed!
RCM engraver Matt Bowen has created this immersive design of voyageurs paddling a canoe in the upper Ottawa River. They have just cleared a treacherous cascade, the force of the current almost launching the canoe from the coin’s ultra-high relief. Water churns beneath their paddles as the voyageurs move in unison, their quick and coordinated strokes ensuring they pass through the rapids intact. Deeply carved boulders give rise to formidable riverbanks where the white water begins. In the distance, the river disappears around a bend, its shores choked with coniferous trees that greatly enhance the sense of perspective and the vastness of the landscape. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.