2018 $30 FINE SILVER COIN 110TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ROYAL CANADIAN MINT
In the heart of Ottawa, Ontario, an imposing wrought-iron fence guards a fortress-like complex where history is both made and commemorated. In honour of the Royal Canadian Mint’s 110th anniversary, this filigree gate-themed offering pays homage to the heritage building that has borne witness to our historic milestones, along with the wrought-iron gates that have safeguarded it since 1908.
Item Number: 166165
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $30
Artist: Steve McPhee
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- A Special Anniversary Piece. A visually striking coin that creatively commemorates the 110th anniversary of both a Canadian institution and a historic site: the Royal Canadian Mint!
- Filigree Gate Technology. This is our fourth filigree gate-themed offering. Stretching across the reverse from rim to rim, an intricately fashioned gate is a small-scale reproduction of the black wrought-iron gates that guard the entrance to our headquarters in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Tried, Tested and True. Extensive research and development have helped determine just the right amount of metal to create a resilient gate without obscuring the view of the image behind it.
- A 2 oz. Tribute in Pure Silver. The coin’s larger diameter allows ample room for small details in the colour-over-engraved depiction of the heritage building that is synonymous with the Royal Canadian Mint.
- A Limited Collectible. A special significance, a lower mintage and the artistic beauty of the carefully crafted design all combine to make this a remarkable addition to any collection — a piece to be treasured time and time again.
The emblematic home of the Royal Canadian Mint has a commanding presence in the reverse image by Steve McPhee. Highly detailed engraving adds texture from behind the colour overlay, mimicking the appearance of the heritage building’s sandstone-clad walls, recessed windows, even the coat of arms that preserves history just above the main entrance.
Adding to this stately appearance, a filigree gate is affixed to the coin’s rim to re-create the fence and gates that line the site’s perimeter. The “wrought iron” gates are painted black to resemble their real-life counterparts, which have guarded the entrance to the site since the official opening of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint on January 2, 1908. The reverse includes the engraved word “CANADA” and the commemorative dates “1908-2018”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.