In its woodland habitat, the great horned owl (Bubo virginianus) can be difficult to spot since its plumage allows it to blend in with the branches and foliage. Not so on the Zentangle®-inspired reverse, where the owl’s feathered features and all-knowing gaze provide the framework for a highly artistic wildlife portrait that is anything but traditional.
Item Number: 165667
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 62.69 g
Diameter: 50 mm
Face Value: $30
Artist: Jori Van Der Linde
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: Our first Zentangle® Art wolf coin left collectors eager for more! Another iconic Canadian species, the great horned owl, is transformed by an elaborate design style based on the structured patterns of the Zentangle® method.
- A CELEBRATION OF ART, NATURE AND FOLKLORE: Layers of repetitive abstract patterns come together beautifully to re-create the “wise” owl’s feathered features — and fittingly, in a style reminiscent of classic storybook illustrations.
- IMMACULATE DETAILS ON A LARGE SCALE: With its large diameter, this coin is perfectly sized to showcase such a complex design, which truly stands out against the brilliant proof finish. Repeat viewings will bring new appreciation for the incomparable artistry and craftsmanship!
- EXPERT CRAFTSMANSHIP: Every intricately engraved pattern has a beauty of its own. Multiple finishes help set them apart, along with thicker lines and shaded elements that add a sense of layered depth and contrast to the overall design.
- A UNIFYING ELEMENT ON BOTH SIDES: Even the obverse features an intricate pattern, which is replicated from the reverse.
Inspired by a popular creative process known as Zentangle®, the reverse design by Jori van der Linde presents a stylized, artistic take on the traditional image of a great horned owl. The bird of prey’s familiar features are unmistakable, especially its piercing gaze, hooked beak and the shape of its ear-like tufts; but its layered plumage is transformed by an elaborate mix of repetitive abstract patterns that are each more intricate than the next. Every pattern is painstakingly brought to life by a complex mix of precision engraving and sophisticated frosting, with varying thickness of lines, shaded elements, and relief that add a sense of layered depth and contrast to the overall arrangement. The reverse also features the engraved face value “30 DOLLARS”, the year “2018” and the word “CANADA”. The obverse replicates one of the patterns seen on the reverse, and features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.