2019 $20 FINE SILVER COIN - CANADA'S HISTORICAL STAMPS COAT OF ARMS AND FLAGS SPECIAL DELIVERY
Beyond history-themed pictorials and portraits, Canada’s philatelic history can also provide a sense of the nation’s mindset at a key moment in time. Such is the case with this uniquely shaped reproduction of a Canadian postage stamp issued in 1942, when a proud nation had dedicated its resources to support the Allied effort in the Second World War.
Item Number: 169809
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.86 g
Diameter: 51 mm x 30 mm
Face Value: $20
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- THIRD and FINAL coin in the series. With serrated edges that mimic a postal stamp’s perforations, this fine silver coin is a numismatic celebration of Canada’s postal and philatelic history, with a special focus on early 20th century stamp designs.
- The classic look of a bygone era. This coin looks back at Canada during the war years with a reproduction of the 10-cent special delivery stamp from the 1942-43 War issue.
- Faithful reproduction. The engraved reproduction of the 1908 stamp is just as detailed as the original — complete with horizontal lines that were the product of intaglio printing, or line engraving, one of the oldest methods of stamp production.
- Vintage colours. A modern application of green colour completes the vintage (and historically accurate) look of this classic design.
- Forever preserved in 99.99% pure silver, this collectible is the perfect gift for philatelists and numismatists alike.
Engraved on the stamp-shaped reverse is a detailed reproduction of a Canadian special delivery stamp issued on July 1, 1942, to highlight Canada’s involvement in the Allied cause during the Second World War. The 10-cent denomination stamp was designed by Herman Herbert Schwartz and originally engraved by Silas Robert Allen, as evidenced by the horizontal lines that are indicative of traditional intaglio printing or line engraving. The pictorial collage features the former Arms of Canada within a shield atop a bough of maple leaves, and flanked by four flags that represent Canada’s different military contributions. An application of modern colour mimics the deep bright green colour of the original issue, which had an inscribed denomination of “10 CENTS”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
© Canada Post Corporation. Used under license.