They carried the weight of history with them. On June 6, 1944, about 14,000 Canadians stormed Juno Beach during the Allied landings in Normandy. Coming under heavy enemy fire, Canadian forces advanced farther inland that day than any other Allied landing force—but success on D-Day was only the beginning of a longer, hard-fought campaign.
Your seven-piece pure silver proof set features an exclusive gold-plated version of the 2019 Proof Dollar, which commemorates the 75th anniversary of D-Day by putting a touchingly human face on a key historic event.
Your coin set is among our best-sellers every year since 1971. Continue the tradition and order your coin set today.
- INCLUDES OUR FLAGSHIP COIN: A bestseller since 1971, the annual pure silver proof set is one of the most sought-after coin sets issued by the Royal Canadian Mint. The 2019 edition proof dollar commemorates the 75th anniversary of D-Day (June 6, 1944).
- A SET EXCLUSIVE! Includes a selectively gold-plated version of the 2019 Proof Dollar that is only available as part of this set.
- A DIFFERENT TAKE ON HISTORY: The highly detailed design on your selectively gold-plated proof dollar puts a human face on an event that changed the course of history. It is a tribute to the courage of every Canadian who stepped off the landing crafts and waded into enemy fire.
- A FIRST STEP: The 2019 selectively gold-plated proof dollar is your first step in a year-long journey of commemoration and remembrance that stretches across several coins. Our young soldier's story is part of Canada's story in the Battle of Normandy, and it continues on a 14-karat gold coin ("A Footstep in Time").
- AN IMAGE OF SOUND: On your 2019 selectively gold-plated proof dollar, a sequence of dots and dashes represents the letter V (for "Victory") in Morse code—a nod to radio broadcasts that announced the Allied landings.
- REMEMBERING CANADA'S ROLE: Canadians played an important role on D-Day and throughout the Battle of Normandy. This coin set is our way of honouring their legacy.
- LIMITED MINTAGE: Only 15,000 coin sets are available worldwide.
- EVERY CANADIAN DENOMINATION IS REPRESENTED IN YOUR SET: Includes the 50-cent coin.
- INCLUDES SERIALIZED CERTIFICATE: The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coin sets.
- 99.99% PURE SILVER: Your coin set has been expertly crafted in 99.99% pure silver with a proof finish that accentuates every detail to stunning effect.
- GENUINE LEATHER BOOK-STYLE: Beautifully presented in a genuine leather book-style that offers an elegant way to proudly showcase your coins.
- NO GST/HST!
Designed by Tony Bianco, your proof dollar steps back in time to the morning of June 6, 1944, as the first wave of Canadian troops storms Juno Beach. The scene shares the same inspiration as the Juno Beach Centre Association's D-Day anniversary logo; it re-creates a moment caught on film when the North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment landed on Nan Red Beach (La Rive Plage). Highlighted by selective gold plating, an infantry soldier has a strained expression on his face after surveying what lies ahead—this is his first real combat experience. A reassuring pat is a touching moment of humanity and a gesture of solidarity amid enemy fire and fear, while the wedding ring is a reminder of loved ones back home. In the sky above, a sequence of dots and dashes represent the letter V (for "Victory") in Morse code; they allude to the radio broadcasts that announced the Allied landings that day. The reverse includes the word "CANADA", the double dates "1944" and "2019", and the face value "DOLLAR". The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.