Renowned as a fearless hunter and guardian of its territory, the wolf (Canis lupus) has long been perceived as a symbol of strength, and one that is representative of the rugged wilderness found in remote areas across Canada. In a nod to this remarkable animal and this vast country’s biodiversity, the Royal Canadian Mint presents a unique fractional set that features an engraved portrait of a lone wolf.
Face Value Composition Weight (g)* Diameter (mm) Edge
5 dollars Fine Silver (99.99% pure) 31.39 38 Serrated
4 dollars Fine Silver (99.99% pure) 15.87 34 Serrated
3 dollars Fine Silver (99.99% pure) 7.96 27 Serrated
2 dollars Fine Silver (99.99% pure) 3.23 20 Serrated
Packaging: Presented in a maple wood case with a graphic beauty box.
All four coins are 99.99% pure silver, with each one featuring the same remarkable reverse image by Canadian artist Pierre Leduc. Using different finishes to enhance the expert engraving, Royal Canadian Mint engravers have faithfully rendered a lone grey wolf in exceptionally fine detail. This right-side profile emphasizes the textures on the wolf’s furry neck, its pointed ears, and its facial features. Possessing keen senses, the intelligent animal has fixed its steely, determined gaze upon something in the distance just beyond the reverse image field; this allows the viewer to get a close view of the wolf’s expression as it stands with its tongue slightly protruding and its mouth open to reveal a row of teeth along its lower jaw. The overall design boasts a remarkable combination of artistry and craftsmanship as the wolf’s meticulously engraved fur lends the image a sense of dimension and depth, in a way that the viewer can easily imagine the softness of it to the touch.
- This rare set features 4 coins in one-ounce and fractional denominations, with each one featuring the reverse image of an iconic grey wolf.
- This is only the second fractional set to ever feature a reverse image other than the maple leaf.
- Fine engraving and a proof finish create a reverse design that is visually striking, offering a detailed rendering of the wolf’s features.
- The Royal Canadian Mint’s purity standard (99.99%) brings added prestige to this exclusive set.
- With a limited mintage and a history of selling quickly, this fractional set is sure to be sought-after by collectors eager to add this set to their growing collection.
- A valuable and prized addition to any wildlife-, Canada- or nature-themed collection.