The Boreal forest is what typically comes to mind when people think of Canada—a wall of conifer trees covered with snow. And while conifers do dominate the landscape, the Boreal forest does have a smattering of deciduous trees daring enough to take on its harsh environment. One of them is the Balsam Poplar (Populus balsamifera), one of Canada’s hardiest deciduous trees. No other North American hardwood grows this far north. And while the Balsam Poplar does well among the conifers, it prefers open areas near water.
Item Number: 143297
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Margaret Best
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Fourth issue in this exciting series that explores the diversity and beauty of Canada’s forests.
- A stunning visual essay on Canadian flora!
- An original gift for nature lovers and tree-appreciators across Canada from coast to coast who are proud of the great Boreal forest that defines their nation by braving the harsh environment of the North. Scene will captivate hikers and mountain climbers as well.
- Expertly crafted in 99.99% pure silver with selective colour to showcase the Balsam Poplar and its springtime catkins beautifully crafted in red.
- The Forests of Canada Series is also offered as a 4-coin subscription!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Margaret Best features the mountainous western reach of the boreal forest with a Balsam Poplar in the foreground growing in its preferred habitat—an open space near water. Only a single branch is visible in this design, and it is beautifully crafted in colour to highlight the textural qualities of the tree’s bark, its emerging springtime buds and the delicate colouration of its red catkins. These drooping, cylinder-shaped flower clusters are designed for cross-pollination. Male flowers are red while female flowers are yellow, much larger, and grow on separate trees.
Coast Shore Pine
Columbian Yew Tree
The RCM will offer a unique box to store your 4 coins and it will be shipped to you with the fourth coin part of this 4-coin subscription program.