SALE - 2017 $20 FINE SILVER COIN GLISTENING NORTH: THE ARCTIC TERN
When it comes to epic migrations, no other bird species rivals the long-distance trek of the Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea). This summer resident of Northern Canada travels roughly 40,000 kilometres each year; it winters on the Antarctic sea ice but returns time and time again to its breeding grounds in “the True North strong and free,” which sparkles on the reverse of this fine silver coin!
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Derek C. Wicks
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- A collectible work of art that celebrates the beauty of Northern Canada and its wildlife!
- Second coin featuring a new technology: Diamond Glitter. A dusting of fine diamond particles is carefully applied to ensure an even layering over select design elements only. The result is an intensely glittering effect that recreates the light-reflecting qualities of snow and ice!
- Yours to enjoy throughout the year, and for years to come! The Diamond Glitter layer is sealed to protect it from the elements—your coin will never lose its sparkle!
- Crafted from 99.99% pure silver, this coin is a must-have for collectors with an eye for art—particularly when it combines cutting-edge technology with traditional design!
- An outstanding addition to any wildlife, nature, Arctic or Canadiana-themed collection, and a cherished keepsake for the art appreciator or nature enthusiast in your life.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Derek C. Wicks combines finely detailed engraving, selective colour and diamond glitter to capture the majestic beauty of Canada’s northern coastline. In the foreground, an Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea) is depicted in flight, its forked tail elongating its slender profile while its long wings are outstretched in an upward stroke. The tern prefers to nest in a colony; thus, it is depicted alongside two other terns depicted in different flight positions above the painted grey waters. While these engraved birds are exquisitely rendered, the Arctic scenery is equally captivating: in the background, the engraved iceberg sparkles in the light thanks to the sealed layer of fine diamond particles, which mimic the glacial ice’s glistening appearance.