SALE - 2017 $50 FINE SILVER COIN DC COMICS ORIGINALS: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Free 4-Pack of collectible Batman v Superman Trading Cards with every purchase while quantities last!
Comics grow up – The Coming of Age DC Comics flourishes during the Bronze Age.
Moving away from the more light-hearted plots of the Silver Age, the comic books of this era pushed new boundaries through socially relevant themes, while introducing changes to the characters and their origin stories. This reverse gold-plated, 3 oz. fine silver coin channels the spirit of Bronze Age comics, with a special focus on Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.
Item Number: 161688
Composition: 99.99% pure silver with gold plating
Weight (g): 94.4
Diameter (mm): 55
Face Value: $50
Artist: DC Comics
Packaging: Standard case with graphic beauty box
- We’re going back to the Bronze Age of Comics to present DC Comics’ greatest Super Heroes!
- Retro art meets modern techniques on the reverse: traditional engraving brings “Bronze Age” Superman to life as he bursts through the laser-engraved comic book panels…and seemingly off the coin’s surface!
- Reverse gold plating adds a soft gleam to the reverse—except for Superman at the centre, which shines in fine silver. The golden gleam subtly hints at the aged look of a vintage comic, but with much more vibrancy and a rich luminosity that highlights all the details!
- HOME-GROWN TALENT! Canadian creators Jason Fabok, Darwyn Cooke and Tom Grummett have all helped to shape Superman's history as artists/writers!
- Seeing is believing: The combination of engraving, plating and finishes creates a sense of motion and adds texture: it looks and feels like Superman is emerging from the coin’s flat surface and racing straight toward the viewer!
- Truly made by fans FOR the fans: It’s a heartfelt salute to the timeless nature of these timeless characters, with all the respect and dedication that only the Royal Canadian Mint can provide.
Through a layered approach, the reverse design re-visits the artistry of retro DC Comics. In the background, laser engraving re-creates all the details, shadows, nuances and complexities that are characteristic to Bronze Age comics. Each of the re-created panels hint at the origin stories of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, and are resplendent in reverse gold plating that adds a golden gleam throughout the reverse—save for the centre image of Superman. Engraved in outstanding detail, Superman shines bright in silver as the Super Hero bursts through the page, revealing a laser halftone pattern behind it. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.