The ninth coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting new 2014 O Canada series focusing on iconic Canadian images celebrates the Northern Lights, a natural phenomenon as awe-inspiring as the Canadian wilderness itself.
Item Number: 129684
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 15.87
Diameter (mm): 34
Face Value: $10
Finish: Matte Proof
Artist: Julius Csotonyi
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- Masterfully crafted by Royal Canadian Mint engravers using a variety of engraving techniques and finishes, as well as selective colour application, to bring this stunning wilderness image to life.
- A limited mintage of 40,000 coins means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors.
- Own a piece of Canada’s North, beautifully captured in ½ ounce of 99.99% pure silver.
- An excellent addition to any nature-focused, Northern, wildlife, or Canadiana collection.
- A beautiful gift or collectible for those who love coloured coins, Canada’s North, wildlife images, nature, original artwork, and Canadian themes.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Julius T. Csotonyi features an iconic northern image of a wolf howling against a night sky bathed in Aurora Borealis—the Northern Lights. The image is anchored by the full-colour background. Above the scene floats the dazzling curtain of glorious coloured light often seen in the night sky above Canada’s northern latitudes. The Lights’ beauty in this image is doubled by its reflection in a yet-unfrozen lake. Beautifully engraved in the centre of the image is the wolf, who sits on the rocky shoreline flanking the left side of the water. In the distance behind the wolf, on the far left side of the image, a coniferous forest rises skyward on a steep hill. On the far horizon, more hills hint at the vast wilderness beneath the stunningly lit sky. Opposite the wolf, large boulders in the water nicely balance the image. Wolf, shore, hillside, and boulders are beautifully reflected in the water below. In the foreground, the tip of a rocky shoreline anchors the scene.