To celebrate Canada’s rich biodiversity, the Royal Canadian Mint highlights the animal kingdom’s family bonds in a series that features endearing images of Canada’s baby animals. The fifth coin in this series showcases a young mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus) and its mother in the mountainous terrain of western Canada.
Item Number: 144365
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Glen Loates
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Fifth in the Royal Canadian Mint’s continuing Baby animal’s series of coins that lovingly depict baby animals in a natural setting.
- The expertly engraved reverse design is enhanced by the use of selective colouring that places the focus on the young mountain goat, whose white wool coat stands in contrast to the brightly coloured wildflowers of its alpine habitat.
- The engraved elements add depth to the image, with the rugged peaks in the background conveying the incredible heights that are reached by these remarkable alpine animals.
- An outstanding addition to any Canadiana- or nature-themed collection.
- A heart-warming gift for any animal lover.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Glen Loates depicts a young mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus) with its mother in the wild, mountainous terrain of western Canada. This side profile of a young goat, offers the viewer a close view of the animal’s muscular forequarters and cloven hooves, which allow it to move with stunning ease at seemingly impossible heights. Enhanced by selective colouring, the kid’s black mouth, nose and eyes stand in contrast to the white wool coat that softens its already-innocent expression. Standing protectively next to the kid is the mother goat––whose slender horns, pronounced shoulder hump and long wool coat are beautifully rendered with finely detailed engraving. In the background, the distant rocky peaks add a sense of depth to the image and help convey just how high this mother and child are, as they stand together on a rocky slope near an evergreen and are surrounded by brightly coloured wildflowers.