Guardian of its territory, the wolf (Canis lupus) is a fearless hunter that relies on its remarkable intelligence, its keen senses, and a pack mentality to maintain its reputation as an apex predator. It also plays an important role in the biodiversity of the remote areas it inhabits, from Labrador to British Columbia and north. As a symbol of Canada’s untamed wilderness, the Royal Canadian Mint pays tribute to the wolf with this stunning coin.
Item Number: 143726
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Maurade Baynton
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- A striking design that conveys the strength and beauty of the wolf as a fearless hunter that makes its home in remote areas across Canada.
- The finely detailed design exemplifies the Royal Canadian Mint's internationally renowned artistry and craftsmanship.
- A mix of traditional engraving, high-definition colour and an immaculate proof finish combine to create a stunning wildlife portrait.
- A rich colour application over the struck components of the design recreates the wolf’s natural colouring, and brings added depth and definition to the wolf’s beautiful surroundings.
- An outstanding addition to your wildlife, nature or Canadiana themed collection.
The reverse image by Canadian artist Maurade Baynton features a lone wolf (Canis lupus) rendered in striking detail through expert engraving, which affords us a unique close-up view of the wolf’s characteristics. Here, our fearless hunter is perched on a rocky slope and holds its steely gaze as it surveys its remote territory and the horizon beyond the image field. The application of selective colouring allows the viewer to glimpse the wolf’s fine features and its handsomely coloured fur that allows this fearless carnivore to blend in with its surroundings. Behind the wolf, a mountain range looms over the river that winds through the forest valley below, with tall timbers that only add to the majesty of this natural setting.