2016 $20 FINE SILVER COIN - BABY ANIMALS: CARIBOU
Springtime brings a burst of colourful blooms across the tundra of Canada’s North, and also marks the calving season for the barren-ground caribou (Rangifer tarandus groenlandicus). This fine silver coin showcases a proud national icon and a symbol of Canada’s North, in a continuing celebration of family bonds in the Canadian wilderness.
Composition: 99.99% fine silver
Weight (g)*: 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Glen Loates
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- A national icon and a symbol of Canada’s North is the subject of the 10th coin in this popular series, which features baby animals in the Canadian wilderness!
- Selective colour lovingly showcases the baby caribou next to a finely detailed engraved depiction of its mother, as the female caribou grazes on the colourful blooms that dot the tundra.
- Crafted from 99.99% pure silver with a limited mintage of 5,500.
- A superb addition to any Canadiana-, wildlife- or nature-themed collection.
- A heart-warming gift that celebrates a family’s special bond, or any momentous first steps!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Glen Loates features colour over the engraved portrait of a young barren-ground caribou. Barely a few weeks old, the calf is not yet weaned from its mother’s milk as it looks up and turns its head to curiously face the viewer. Selective colour enhances the detailed engraving while recreating the calf’s tan- and white-coloured fur, along with the darker colours of its eyes, nose and hooves. At its feet is a bright mix of pastel colours, which convey the springtime explosion of colourful new growth on the tundra in Canada’s North, where the lichen, purple saxifrage and forbs provide a nutritious meal for the engraved female caribou standing next to her young. Both mother and child will need their strength to make the long trek across the wide-open landscape depicted in the engraved background, where the nursery herd will join other caribou on the coastal plains. Also engraved on the reverse are the word “CANADA”, the face value “20 DOLLARS” and the year “2016”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.