As digital artists seek to recreate the physical world through dimensional images, modelling techniques based on geometric shapes have spawned an innovative new visual style: low poly art. This final coin in the five-coin Geometry in Art series utilizes the low poly art style to present a contemporary re-interpretation of a profoundly historic Canadian symbol: the beaver (Castor canadensis).
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.83
Diameter (mm): 40
Face Value: $20
Artist: Calder Moore
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- Fourth coin in the Geometry in Art series, which reinterprets familiar Canadian emblems in the low poly art style that originated in the video game industry.
- Exceptional engraving, relief and the application of different finishing techniques add distinctiveness to the polygon shapes that form the stylized image of two beavers in the wild.
- In keeping with the low poly art style, vibrant colours create a perception of depth and shadows while the palette captures the brightness of a summer day in the Canadian wilderness.
- Crafted in 99.99% pure silver with a low mintage set to only 7,500 worldwide.
- A conversation-starter for anyone with an interest in art and dimensional modelling techniques, particularly those used in Canada’s thriving video game development industry.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Calder Moore features a stylized portrait of two beavers presented in an eye-catching low poly art style. Extraordinary sculpting, cutting-edge technology and advanced finishing techniques allow each polygon to appear distinct from the other throughout the design. The geometric lines and sharp corners recreate the branches used by the beavers as building material for their dam; yet these same lines are somewhat softened by the colour variation between each polygon, playfully altering our perception of shadow, light and dimension and conveying the rounded shape of each beaver. The half-submerged perspective allows an underwater glimpse of the dam rising up from the mud at the bottom of the pond, while the deep blue sky above adds vibrancy to the green conifers along the rocky cliffs in the background.