On Canada Day, Parliament Hill is awash in a sea of red and white that is a proud expression of patriotism—especially in 2017, when Canadians come together to celebrate 150 years of Confederation. Step into the nation’s biggest birthday celebration with a photoluminescent coin that captures the soaring spirit of the daylong festivities, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display!
- THE NEXT-BEST THING TO BEING THERE: Immerse yourself in the excitement of Canada Day celebrations with this photo-luminescent coin!
- TWO SCENES, ONE COIN: Full colour application re-creates the daytime celebrations as Canada’s Snowbirds soar above the Peace Tower. Then, view the coin under a black light (included) to find a luminous fireworks display that casts a glow on the buildings and people below!
- Extremely low mintage of just 5,000: With this extremely limited mintage, this is a coin that demand is expected to far exceed supply.
- THE ART OF LAYERING: The “hidden” night scene is made possible by the strategic integration of black light and glow-in-the-dark technology within the colour image—and over engraved elements!
- A SOARING CELEBRATION OF CANADA: A timeless scene that evokes a swelling sense of pride for a nation celebrating 150 years.
- TECHNICALLY ADVANCED: A show-stopping showcase of the Royal Canadian Mint’s artistic vision and technical expertise.
- HIGH APPEAL: The unique perspective and the artful integration of technology will catch the eye of collectors and art appreciators alike—a must-have to remember a special year for Canadians.
Item Number: 161450
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 62.67
Diameter (mm): 54
Face Value: $30
Artist: Jesse Koreck
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
An extremely low mintage and compelling art combine to make this one of the most appealing coins to celebrate Canada’s 150th Anniversary of Confederation. There’s a timeless quality to Jesse Koreck’s reverse design, which provides a lasting snapshot of Canada Day festivities on Parliament Hill. The view of the Centre Block building helps create a more immersive viewing experience—one gets the sense of being there in person, among the hundreds of thousands of people who have gathered on the lawn to take part in this joyous occasion. The outpouring of national pride is evident in the revellers’ red-and-white clothing and the prominent placement of Canadian flags. However, the crowd’s attention is focused on the sky overhead, where the aerobatic Snowbirds Demonstration Team performs a thrilling fly-past above the iconic Peace Tower. The use of a full colour application adds a rich vibrancy to the daytime scene; but the strategic integration and layering of photoluminescent technologies allow for a surprising transition to night. When viewed under a black light, a day of celebrating has reached its spectacular climax with an unforgettable pyrotechnic display! Black light and glow-in-the-dark technology re-create the elaborate firework finale above Parliament Hill, where the dazzling array of colours and patterns faintly illuminate the buildings and the crowd below. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.