2017 5-OUNCE FINE SILVER COIN - BIG COIN SERIES ALEX COLVILLE DESIGNS - RABBIT NICKEL 5 CENT
They are a connection to our past; and for many coin collectors, they ignited a lifelong passion for collecting. As Canada celebrates its 150th anniversary, this commemorative re-issue of the 1967 Canadian Centennial coins revisits one of Canada’s most iconic coins: the Alex Colville-designed five-cent coin, which has been beautifully re-created and enhanced on this 5 oz. fine silver coin.
Item Number: 156446
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: 5 Cents
Artist: Alex Colville
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- FOURTH coin in an unforgettable series that celebrates Canada’s 150th anniversary and the 50th anniversary of the 1967 Canadian Centennial circulation coins.
- Never before have these iconic designs been featured in 99.99% pure silver—and on a much larger scale (65.25-mm diameter)—uniquely enhanced with stunning gold plating selectively applied to the reverse and obverse.
- The proof finish is gorgeously enhanced with modern polishing techniques that highlight the meticulous engraving of each subject.
- For added historical authenticity, the obverse features the second effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, as it appeared on the original coins.
- Purchase individually or subscribe today to guarantee all six coins: each subscription comes with an elegant wooden collector case that will beautifully showcase the coins together as one complete set.
- Third Big Coin series to feature iconic Canadian circulation coins: Previous ones sold out very quickly; given the popularity of the original designs, and a low mintage of just 2,150 coins per denomination, this series will be highly sought after.
- An eye-catching addition to any Canadiana-, history-themed or circulation coin collections.
- A great opportunity to revisit a proud moment in our history while celebrating another key milestone!
The reverse re-creates the beloved 1967 five-cent circulation coin design by Canadian artist Alex Colville, and features the side profile of a rabbit. Captured in outstanding detail, the engraved rabbit is seen mid-hop, its forelegs elevated as its strong hind legs propel it forward. The image is enhanced by the application of selective gold plating over the rabbit and all along the coin’s rim. The reverse also features the engraved face value “5 CENTS”, the word “CANADA” and the commemorative dates “1967-2017”. The obverse features selective gold plating on the second effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin.