2018 5-OUNCE FINE SILVER COIN BIG COIN SERIES: 2-DOLLAR COIN
Celebrate the history and artistry of Canadian circulation coinage with this pure silver “toonie” selectively plated in rose gold—part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s new 7-coin series featuring current and historical Canadian circulation coins.
Item Number: 163887
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: $2
Artist: Brent Townsend
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- This special 2-dollar piece features Canadian artist Brent Townsend’s version of the coin’s iconic polar bear design, first issued with the introduction of the 2-dollar circulation coin in 1996. This design has been used continuously on Canadian “toonies,” with a number of notable exceptions.
- Special selective rose gold plating technique allows the coin’s engraved elements to shine, adding visual interest to the iconic design.
- Exceptionally low mintage of only 1,500 coins means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors around the world. Previous issues of this popular series regularly sell out.
- Subscribe to the series to get a complimentary custom wood collector case that holds all seven coins. 7th and final coin in the series, the Penny, will be available through subscription only and will ship with the wood case!
- Drawing its inspiration from Canadian minting, each coin in the series makes an exquisite gift, an inspiring introduction to collecting, or an important addition for any collector interested in Canadian subjects, Canadian and international circulation coinage, or minting history.
This Canadian 2-dollar coin is certified to be 99.99% pure silver with a diameter of 65 millimetres and a weight of 157.6 grams (5 ounces). The reverse features Brent Townsend’s image of an adult polar bear standing on an ice floe, gazing out over the early summer Arctic landscape. The engraved central scene is selectively rose gold-plated. The reverse is also engraved with the word “CANADA” and the face value of “2 DOLLARS.” The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. Her Majesty’s portrait is rose gold-plated.