The seven stars that make up the Big Dipper are arguably one of the most recognized formations in the night sky. They are visible year-round from northern latitudes, and have inspired countless legends around the globe. Many First Nations legends describe the Big Dipper as a great bear who is hunted ceaselessly by three hunters. The first issue in this four-coin series shows the hunters answering the elders’ call to stop the bear before it kills all the animals in the forest and brings starvation to the people.
• 1st issue in this mesmerizing four-coin series!
• Glows in the dark—just like stars! Turn off the lights and 7 stars depicting three hunters in pursuit of the great bear magically appear. Innovative glow-in-the-dark technology will not wear out—ever! For best effect, simply recharge the coin under a light.
• Mesmerizing colour brings the richness of First Nations traditions to life. It’s easy to imagine the powerful scene that played out as brave members of the Plains Ojibwa band set out to hunt the bear under a star-filled sky.
• Pure silver starlight! Not all the stars are coloured. Four of them shine with the perfection of 99.99% pure silver to enhance the twinkling sky.
• A wonderful keepsake for star gazers and history buffs; anyone with a passion for Canada’s rich ancestral past and its mystifying First Nations traditions and legends.
• Your packaging also glows in the dark. All four boxes in the dark make up the Big Dipper.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt.
About the design:
Western Ojibwa artist Cyril Assiniboine has created a stunning image of hunters as they head out to track the bear under a star-filled sky. The design showcases the hunters’ impressive traditional Saulteaux dress, complete with imposing face paint and ceremonial shield with highly symbolic bear claw motif. In the background, the Big Dipper glows in the dark; a foreboding sign of the eternal hunt that is to come.