2014 $20 FINE SILVER COIN –
THE GREAT LAKES: LAKE ONTARIO
More than one-quarter of Canada’s population lives within the Lake Ontario watershed. Bordered by the province of Ontario and New York State, Lake Ontario is the final gateway in the Great Lakes’ hydrologic journey to the Atlantic Ocean.
Lake Ontario is sunk into the face of the coin, with the varying depths highlighted in relief and multiple frosting techniques, and then filled with brilliant translucent blue enamel. This unique approach to showcasing the lake highlights the depths that typically remain hidden from view.
- The lake shape and depths are based on an interpretation of bathymetric data from the Canadian Hydrographic Service.
- The second coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 5-coin series featuring the beautiful Great Lakes.
- Also available in the Great Lakes subscription, which includes a custom wood box wrapped in a graphic sleeve. (Subscription box ships with Lake Ontario coin)
- Limited mintage of only 10,000 coins means that this selectively enameled proof coin will be sought after by collectors.
- A stunning gift or thoughtful introduction to collecting for anyone who loves natural wonders, geography, history, and the glory of the Canadian landscape.
The reverse image features an interpretation of a bathymetry map of Lake Ontario replicated by Royal Canadian Mint engravers and highlighted with coloured enamel. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
2014 $20 Fine Silver Coin – The Great Lakes – Lake Superior (129333)
Launch date: November 12, 2013
This product has been produced by the Royal Canadian Mint based on Canadian
Hydrographic Service data, pursuant to CHS licence 203-0225-1260-R.
Composition 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)* 31.39
Diameter (mm) 38
Face Value $20
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box