Throughout its history, each of the nickel’s transformations provides a glimpse of a young nation that was seeking to define itself, and a Mint that would quickly come into its own. This Legacy of the Canadian Nickel series is a retrospective look at the history of 5-cent coins minted by the Royal Canadian Mint, beginning with this crossed maple bough design that was used until 1921.
Item Number: 135338
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.83
Diameter (mm): 40
Face Value: 5-cent
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
Finished size: 67 mm x 67
- The crossed maple bough is the first coin of the six-coin Legacy of the Canadian Nickel series, which recreates previous 5-cent coin designs produced by the Royal Canadian Mint throughout its history, since 1908.
- Modern techniques and multiple finishes help bring the past to life with added definition and enhanced detailing.
- Each coin within the series is faithful to the original design and includes the effigy of the reigning monarch at the time of the coin’s original issue date.
- This coin’s 40-mm diameter makes it double the size of the original, allowing for a larger canvas to showcase the intricately detailed design.
- A great gift for collectors of Canadiana, history-themed and circulation coins with this new 6-coin series! Coins are launched monthly from February to July 2015, offered individually or in a 6-coin subscription program. Receive your FREE wooden case when you subscribe.
This 5-cent coin is 99.99% pure silver, with a diameter of 40 millimetres and a metal weight of 31.83 grams. The reverse image features a recreation of William Henry James Blakemore’s design, which graced the 5-cent coin from 1911 to 1921. Finely detailed engraving and selective gold plating recreate St. Edward’s Crown, the solid gold coronation crown, as it appeared on the original coin design. New sculpt and finishes bring added definition to the crossed bough of 22 maple leaves. Featured on the reverse is the effigy of King George V, who was the reigning monarch from 1910 to 1936.
Product: The Crossed Maple Boughs
Launch date: February 3, 2015
Product: The Two Maple Leaves
Launch date: March 3, 2015
Product: The Victory
Launch date: April 7, 2015
Product: The Identification of Nickel
Launch date: May 5, 2015
Product: The Centennial 5-cent
Launch date: June 2, 2015
Product: The Beaver
Launch date: July 7, 2015
The RCM will offer a wooden case to store your 6 coins and it will be shipped to you with the second coin part of this 6-coin subscription program.