Celebrate the history and artistry of Canadian circulation coinage with this fine silver “loonie”—part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s new series featuring Canada’s six circulation coins. Each beautiful coin is composed of five ounces of fine silver and features selective colour on the reverse.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: $1
Artist: Robert-Ralph Carmichael
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with graphic beauty box
- This 5-ounce fine silver 1-dollar coin features noted Canadian wildlife artist Robert-Ralph Carmichael’s loon design, first issued with the introduction of the 1-dollar circulation coin in 1987. This design has been used continuously on Canadian “loonies,” with a number of notable exceptions.
- Part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 6-coin series of 5-ounce pure silver versions of Canada’s 5-cent, 10-cent, 25-cent, 50-cent, 1-dollar, and 2-dollar circulation coins.
- Selective colour on each coin’s reverse makes this series particularly lovely and exceptionally unique.
- Subscribe to the series to get a complimentary custom collector case that holds all six coins. Only 350 subscriptions will be sold worldwide.
- With only 350 subscriptions available globally and a very limited mintage of only 1,500 coins per issue, this series is sure to be highly sought after by collectors.
- Drawing its inspiration from minting itself, this coin makes an exquisite gift, an inspiring introduction to collecting, or an important addition for any collector interested in Canadian subjects, Canadian and international circulation coinage, or minting history.
The reverse image by Canadian artist Robert Carmichael features the profile portrait of a common loon floating on a still lake with a small island populated by conifers in the left-side background. The loon, waterway, and tree-lined island are selectively coloured. The reverse is also engraved with the text “CANADA” and “DOLLAR” and the date “2016”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. Her Majesty’s portrait is gold-plated.