2016 $1 FINE SILVER COIN – RENEWED SILVER DOLLAR: THE LIBRARY OF PARLIAMENT
This selectively gold-plated 99.99% pure silver dollar is the second in the Royal Canadian Mint's series celebrating historic proof dollar designs. This release features the design from Canada's 1976 silver proof dollar commemorating the Library of Parliament's centennial. This 99.99% pure silver 1-dollar coin has a diameter of 50 millimetres and a nominal metal weight of 2 ounces. Its reverse features Walter Ott's image of the Library of Parliament from the 1976 silver proof dollar. The design presents the outside of the Library of Parliament in fine architectural detail, highlighting the building's buttresses, ornate windows, three-tiered domed roof, and other gothic details. The building and the coin's outer edge are plated in 99.99% pure gold. The reverse is engraved with the words "CANADA" and "DOLLAR" and the dates "1876-2016." The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Arnold Machin from the original 1976 commemorative silver dollar. The Queen's crown and mantle are plated in 99.99% pure gold.
Item Number: 153701
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 62.69
Diameter (mm): 50
Face Value: $1
Finish: Proof with selective gold plating
- Exceptional historical pedigree!
- One coin, four important anniversaries: The 140th anniversary of the completion of Canada's Library of Parliament in 1876; the 40th anniversary of the 1876-1976 silver proof dollar celebrating the Library of Parliament's centennial; the 10th anniversary of the conservation, rehabilitation, and upgrade of the Library of Parliament; and the 100th anniversary of the 1916 fire that gutted the Centre Block of Parliament Hill, sparing only the Library itself.
- Extremely low mintage of only 2,500 coins means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors around the world.
- Features Walter Ott's highly detailed image of the Library of Parliament and the original obverse "tiara effigy" of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by British artist and sculptor Arnold Machin.
- A beautiful addition to any collection featuring historical themes, proof dollar designs, gold-plated coins, or fine architecture.