Since its creation in 1972, more than 4,700 men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces have been appointed to the Order of Military Merit. With this fine silver coin, the Royal Canadian Mint proudly commemorates the 45th anniversary of one of Canada’s highest honours, which recognizes those whose dedication and commitment to their country embodies the Order’s motto: Officium ante commodum (“Service before self”).
Item Number: 157649
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.83
Diameter (mm): 40
Face Value: $20
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- SECOND coin in a series honouring key anniversaries for some of the highest honours within the Canadian Honours System.
- A proud commemoration of the 45th anniversary of the Order of Military Merit, and a heartfelt tribute to its honoured members!
- Beautifully crafted in 1 oz of 99.99% pure silver: This large (40 mm) coin features precision engraving and a complex colour application in one stunning collectible!
- A unique opportunity: Never before has the Order of Military Merit insignia appeared on a coin!
- Your coin is an exquisite reproduction of the real insignia, which is also crafted by the Royal Canadian Mint.
- A truly unique way of honouring those who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces, and the perfect addition to any military- or history-themed collection.
Designed by Bruce W. Beatty, C.M., S.O.M., C.D., the insignia of the Order of Military Merit has been proudly struck by the Royal Canadian Mint since 2012. The reverse of this fine silver coin presents a near-faithful re-creation of the insignia bestowed upon those appointed to the highest rank of membership: Commander of the Order of Military Merit (C.M.M.). Blue translucent colour re-creates the rich colour of the straight-end cross patée, with its four arms narrowing at the centre. Surmounted by a colourful St. Edward’s Crown, a red annulus bears the inscription “MERIT.MÉRITE.CANADA.”, whose yellow colour mimics the gold of the original insignia. At its centre, the red maple leaf helps distinguish the insignia of Commander from that of Officer or Member, which would feature a gold and silver maple leaf (respectively). The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, designed by Susanna Blunt.