Carved out over time by ice and wind, the majestic beauty of Canada’s Arctic landscape is like no other! This unique environment has long been home to some of Canada’s most distinctive species—including the polar bear, which is widely regarded as a symbol of strength and resilience. This fine silver coin is a celebration of this icon of the True North, and of a proud nation whose spirit, identity and history have been shaped by snow and ice.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value: $20
Artist: Glen Loates
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
Finished size: 67 mm x 67 mm
Master Pack: 75
- A meticulously engraved celebration of Canada’s northern climate and the beauty of its wintry landscape.
- NEW TECHNOLOGY! An RCM first—selective use of Diamond Glitter adds an intensely glittering effect that recreates the light-reflecting qualities of the coloured snow and ice in daylight.
- A dusting of fine diamond particles is carefully applied to every coin to ensure an even layering over the select design elements on the engraved reverse. The dazzling effect is then sealed to protect it from the elements, so that your coin will never lose its sparkle!
- This is no hidden gem: Crafted from 99.99% pure silver, this unforgettable coin is a ‘shining’ example of artistic vision, world-class craftsmanship and cutting-edge technology—all in one coin!
- A must-have for collectors of RCM FIRSTS, cutting-edge technology and innovative design!
- A spectacular addition to any wildlife-, nature-, Arctic- or Canadiana-themed collection, and a truly unforgettable keepsake for the art appreciator or nature enthusiast in your life.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Glen Loates artfully combines highly detailed engraving with the selective application of colour and diamond glitter to capture the stunning beauty of the Canadian Arctic landscape. In the centre, a polar bear (Ursus maritimus) is sure-footed as it moves across the rugged terrain, where it pauses briefly to lift its head and use its formidable sense of smell. The side-profile view allows for a close examination of the bear’s distinctive outline and the textured rendering of its famously white fur; but it is the glittering appearance of the snow and ice that inevitably draws the eye towards the ground beneath the bear’s feet. Here, the careful application of an innovative technology known as Diamond Glitter recreates the light-reflecting qualities of snow and ice crystals in daylight—an effect that is further enhanced by the coin’s silver surface in the engraved background, where the frozen Arctic landscape is punctuated by rocky peaks beneath the engraved face value “20 DOLLARS”.