2017 $30 FINE SILVER COIN ENDANGERED ANIMAL CUTOUT: WOODLAND CARIBOU
Like a puzzle with a missing piece, it’s hard to imagine Canada without many of its most iconic species, including the woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou); sadly, this majestic mammal joins other Canadian creatures that are classified as at risk, threatened or even endangered. With its uniquely shaped cutout, this fine silver coin shines the spotlight on the plight of the caribou—a national symbol whose numbers are in decline in Canada’s wilderness.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 52.88
Diameter (mm): 54
Face Value: $30
Artist: Trevor Tennant
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- FIRST coin in a series showcasing at-risk species that are an integral part of the Canadian landscape.
- RCM FIRST: State-of-the-art technology and internationally renowned craftsmanship have come together to produce the first coin to feature a uniquely shaped cutout—one that smoothly recreates the animal’s iconic outline!
- The artful combination of meticulous engraving and multiple finishes truly captures the stunning beauty of the Canadian wilderness; but the cutout adds a powerful aspect that highlights the species’ at-risk status and its “disappearing” numbers in the wild.
- Crafted from 1.7 ounces of 99.99% fine silver, each coin boasts a large diameter (54 mm) that allows even the finest detail to shine.
- With a limited mintage of just 5,500 coins worldwide, the coin’s artistic design and innovative new feature makes this a highly sought-after collectible that will be prized by art lovers, nature enthusiasts and collectors alike!
The reverse design by Canadian artist Trevor Tennant transports the viewer to the mountainous landscape of Western Canada, where detailed engraving and multiple finishes recreate a timeless snapshot of the wild. The distant peaks provide a breathtaking backdrop to the grassy foothills, which slope down to the tree-lined river below; and while the beauty of the engraved scene is unmistakable, it is the uniquely shaped cutout that easily draws the viewer’s eye. Innovative technology has skilfully carved out the outline of a woodland caribou, smoothly recreating its distinctive profile and towering rack of antlers. The “missing” caribou element is strongly symbolic: while it represents an artistic tribute to a beloved species, the overall design also offers a haunting re-imagining of the Canadian wilderness without this national icon—particularly the Southern Mountain population of caribou, which is listed as threatened on Canada’s Species at Risk Act (SARA). The reverse includes the word “CANADA”, the year “2017” and the face value “30 DOLLARS”.