Antlers crown its regal form, making the caribou (Rangifer tarandus) appear like the monarch of the Canadian wilderness on this fine silver coin. The colourful ode to a Canadian icon is a notable first: the first coin in our limited Canadian Mosaics series, and the first to feature an innovative colour technology that gives it the look and feel of a stained glass mosaic.
Item Number: 166294
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 31.39
Diameter (mm): 38
Face Value; $20
Artist: Jori van der Linde
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- Classic canadiana, re-imagened: this is the first in a three-coin series that puts a new spin on traditional wildlife portraits, with each canadian icon re-interpreted as mosaic art.
- First-time use of new technology: introducing colour mosaic! our latest colour innovation is paired with fine engraving in order to mimic the multi-coloured appearance of stained glass mosaic—one that fits in the palm of your hand!
- Outstanding attention to detail: complex engraving divides the larger image into segments that resemble pieces of coloured glass, all the while meticulously re-creating the caribou’s familiar features.
- Like filtered light: to achieve the look of light filtering through coloured glass, each colour on the reverse has a varying degree of translucence—from dark colours to glassy hues.
- A limited opportunity: a wildly popular theme in a new art style, plus a lower mintage than usual for a colourful 1 oz. coin — this example of fine craftsmanship and numismatic artistry is a striking addition to any collection. Order yours today!
The reverse image by Jori van der Linde features a side-profile view of a caribou against a mountain backdrop, re-imagined in the style of mosaic art. Detailed engraving divides the image into different-sized segments resembling stained glass pieces. Colour Mosaic technology adds luminous colours while mimicking the appearance of filtered light, as the eye moves from the glassy blue sky intermixed with the coin’s own proof finish, to the more opaque colours of the caribou. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.