Celebrate the history and artistry of Canadian circulation coinage with this fine silver “toonie”—part of the Royal Canadian Mint’s new series featuring Canada’s six circulation coins. Each beautiful coin is composed of five ounces of fine silver and features selective gold plating on both the reverse and the obverse.
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g): 157.6
Diameter (mm): 65.25
Face Value: 2 Dollars
Finish: Proof with selective gold plating
Artist: Brent Townsend
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- Last coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting 6-coin series of 5-ounce fine silver versions of Canadian circulation coinage.
- This 5-ounce fine silver 2-dollar coin features Canadian artist Brent Townsend’s version of the coin’s iconic polar bear design, first issued with the introduction of the 2-dollar circulation coin in 1996. This design has been used continuously on Canadian “toonies,” with a number of notable exceptions.
- Selective gold plating on both the reverse and obverse sides of the coin makes this series particularly lovely and exceptionally unique.
- With a very limited mintage of only 1,500 coins per issue, this series is sure to be highly sought after by collectors.
- Drawing its inspiration from minting itself, this coin makes an exquisite gift, an inspiring introduction to collecting, or an important addition for any collector interested in Canadian subjects, Canadian and international circulation coinage, or minting history.
This Canadian 2-dollar coin is 99.99% pure silver, with a diameter of 65 millimetres and a nominal metal weight of 157.6 grams (5 ounces). The reverse design features Brent Townsend’s image of an adult polar bear standing on an ice floe, gazing out over the early summer Arctic landscape. The polar bear and ice floe are gold-plated, as is the raised edge. The reverse is also engraved with the word “CANADA”, the date “2015”, and the face value of “2 DOLLARS”. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt. Her Majesty’s portrait is gold-plated, along with the raised obverse edge.