More than a home-grown comic book hero, Captain Canuck personifies the spirit of Canadians by embodying self-sacrifice, determination and integrity — and all with a full dose of humility and compassion. This rectangular coin is the ultimate tribute to a Canadian pop-culture icon, who fights for justice and peace while wearing the colours of our nation’s flag.
Item Number: 164892
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 31.56 g
Diameter: 49.80 mm X 28.60 mm
Face Value: $20
Artist: Richard Comely
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with a graphic beauty box
- COVER ART ON A COMIC BOOK-SHAPED COIN: It’s a RECTANGULAR coin! Shaped like a comic book, this coin is a fitting tribute to a Canadian hero and pop-culture icon.
- MAKING HIS COIN DEBUT: This is Captain Canuck’s first appearance on a coin! The reverse mimics the cover of Captain Canuck No. 1, which introduced a new, uniquely Canadian hero to comic book fans.
- CANADIAN THROUGH AND THROUGH: Both the coin and the packaging feature the art of co-creator Richard Comely!
- SYMBOLIC COLOURS: The selective use of colour recreates the vibrant red and white of Captain Canuck’s iconic suit, which is also a tribute to Canada.
- An exciting way to show your love for your country through your collection! A wonderful and valuable collectible for Captain Canuck fans and those who have a passion for comic books.
Utilizing the coin’s rectangular shape, the reverse mimics the appearance of a comic book — specifically the cover of Captain Canuck No. 1 (July 1975). Key elements from the original cover art by Richard Comely are faithfully replicated by combining precision engraving, various frostings and a selective colour application. The focus is primarily on Captain Canuck, who strikes a defiant pose as he stands on rugged terrain, while the yellow sun hangs low in the northern sky. His maple leaf suit is based on the real-life colours of the large Canadian flag engraved behind him, which further emphasizes the character’s Canadian roots. The reverse includes the engraved word “CANADA” above a corner box element bearing the face value “20 DOLLARS”; “CAPTAIN CANUCK” and “CAPITAINE CANUCK” are engraved on either side of the hero, while the year “2018” is engraved on the land mass below. A laser-engraved maple leaf pattern fills the obverse, which features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.