Distinguished by the square sails on its foremast, the topsail schooner featured on the third pure gold Tall Ships coin is a striking example of the sail plan that made this type of tall ship both strong and nimble. The rigging allowed these two- (or more) masted vessels to carry more sail when sailing off the wind. More importantly, the square topsails provided increased sail area for more speed, and, combined with fore and aft sails, made the ship easier to maneuver in heavy seas—an important consideration for coastal trading in the 1800s.
Add a third Tall Ships to your growing fleet.
- Third coin in the series. The annual Tall Ships series of pure gold coins celebrates the legendary vessels that drew international acclaim for Canada’s shipyards and contributed to our rich maritime heritage.
- Back to Canada’s golden age of sail. Each instalment showcases a different type of tall ship or sail plan, beginning with the brigantine (2022) and continuing with the full-rigged ship (2023), and now, the topsail schooner (2024).
- Pure gold portrait. Your low mintage (800) coin is crafted from 99.99% pure gold. Its luminous, mirror-like finish lights up the engraved art on the coin’s reverse.
- A popular theme. A prestigious addition to any collection, especially a gold, history or nautical-themed one.
- Includes serialized certificate. The Royal Canadian Mint certifies all of its collector coins.
- No GST/HST.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded clamshell with a black beauty box.