A harbinger of spring, the swallow is a joyful symbol of success, happiness and family — all key elements for a life of harmony, a most benevolent blessing to bestow upon a friend or loved one. This scallop-shaped, gold-plated coin carries a joyous message on its beautifully engraved reverse, which invites peace and balance into the life of its recipient.
Item Number: 166850
Composition: 99.99% fine silver
Weight: (g) 26.51
Diameter: (mm) 38
Face Value: $15
Artist: Aries Cheung
Packaging: Standard maroon clamshell with black beauty box
- A SPECIAL SHAPE: This scallop-shaped coin honours a longstanding cultural tradition in Chinese-Canadian communities.
- A FULLY GOLD-PLATED COIN: Both the obverse and reverse are fully gold-plated, as indicated by the “P” mark on the obverse. This is a unique way of getting the rich gleam of a gold coin, but the size and affordability of a fine silver one.
- INCLUDES CHINESE CHARACTERS for “harmony” and for “Canada” on the reverse.
- SYMBOLIC ELEMENTS, STYLIZED ART: The stylized image on the reverse combines a number of traditional symbols and motifs that hold special significance.
- AUSPICIOUS “8”: Mintage has been intentionally limited to 4,888 coins worldwide.
- A SPECIAL KEEPSAKE, A HEARTFELT WISH: This coin is a stylish addition to any Chinese-inspired collection, or a very meaningful gift that bestows a special blessing upon its recipient.
On the fully gold-plated reverse, the stylized image by Aries Cheung centres on a pair of swallows, a beloved bird that represents harmony — in love, in families and the community, and in nature itself. This migratory bird is traditionally revered as a symbol of spring, thus it is shown with plum blossoms, whose five petals symbolize the Five Blessings: longevity, fortune, health, virtue and dying a natural death. The birds and flowers bask in the warming rays of the sun, which bears the Chinese characters for “harmony”. The face value “15 DOLLARS”, the year “2018”, the word “CANADA” and the Chinese characters for “CANADA” are all engraved within the outer band that frames the image field. The gold-plated obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.