In the mighty rivers of British Columbia and Yukon, the salmon run is a spectacular natural occurrence and an awe-inspiring testament to one’s ability to persevere against all odds. This fine silver wafer is the first of its kind to selectively combine two technologies (blue enamel and ultra-high relief engraving) on the reverse, where the salmon’s odyssey attracts the attention of another emblematic species.
Item Number: 167151
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight: 47.35 g
Diameter: 49.8 mm x 28.6 mm
Face Value: $25
Artist: Emily Damstra
Packaging: Black clamshell with black beauty box
- Another exciting RCM first. This fine silver wafer is the FIRST of its kind to feature ultra-high relief engraving and coloured enamel on the reverse, where the combined technologies add a dynamic sense of depth to an already detailed design.
- Beautiful blue enamel adds translucent colour to the water without obscuring the engraved elements that provide an underwater view.
- Ultra high relief engraving sets the grizzly bear apart from the traditionally engraved setting, and draws attention to a species that is intrinsically tied to the salmon.
- A captivating panorama that showcases one of nature’s most mesmerizing migrations, which occurs annually in some of Canada’s scenic rivers.
- A stunning addition to any wildlife-themed collection, and an exquisite gift for any outdoor enthusiast.
The reverse image by Emily Damstra features a river setting in Western Canada, where the annual sockeye salmon run is underway. Translucent colour enamel adds a beautiful blue hue to the water while allowing an underwater view of the engraved sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) and the gravel-lined riverbed. Engraved in ultra high relief to heighten its imposing stature, a grizzly bear (Ursos arctos) has waded into the shallow water to catch its meal. The split-shot nature of the design is a reminder of the salmon’s crucial role in this ecosystem, whether sustaining other wildlife or providing marine-derived nutrients that support plant life. The reverse includes the engraved word “CANADA”. The obverse features the face value “25 DOLLARS”, the year “2018” and the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.