The seven stars that make up the Big Dipper are arguably one of the most recognized formations in the night sky. They are visible year-round from northern latitudes, and have inspired countless legends around the globe. Many First Nations legends describe the Big Dipper as a great bear who is hunted ceaselessly by three hunters. The fourth issue in this four-coin series reveals how the wounded bear continues to evade the hunters who are locked in an eternal pursuit.
Item Number: 140555
Composition: 99.99% pure silver
Weight (g)*: 31.83
Diameter (mm): 40
Face Value: $25
Artist: Cyril Assiniboine
Packaging: Maroon clamshell with custom beauty box
- The final coin in this mesmerizing four-coin series!
- Glows in the dark—just like stars! Turn off the lights and 7 stars depicting three hunters in pursuit of the great bear magically appear. Innovative glow-in-the-dark technology will not wear out—ever! For best effect, simply recharge the coin under a light.
- Mesmerizing colour brings the richness of First Nations traditions to life. It’s easy to imagine the powerful scene that played out as brave members of the Plains Ojibwa band set out to hunt the bear under a star-filled sky.
- Pure silver starlight! Not all the stars are coloured. Four of them shine with the perfection of 99.99% pure silver to enhance the twinkling sky.
- A wonderful keepsake for star gazers and history buffs; anyone with a passion for Canada’s rich ancestral past and its mystifying First Nations traditions and legends.
- Your packaging also glows in the dark. All four boxes in the dark make
- up the big dipper.
Western Ojibwa artist Cyril Assiniboine has created a stunning scene of a cold winter night with a ghostly figure of the great bear running across the star-filled sky close to the horizon, with three hunters in eternal pursuit.