11th issue in this bi-annual series. Continue collecting this beautiful series!
The Coat of Arms for Ontario incorporates the Provincial Shield that was originally granted by Queen Victoria in 1868. This Shield featured the Cross of St. George on a white background (representing England) above a sprig of three gold maples on a green background (representing Canada). The province's Coat of Arms was created 41 years later in 1909 under Royal Warrant from King Edward VII. Three animals indigenous to Ontario's wilderness were placed around the Shield; a moose to its left and a deer to its right act as supporters while a black bear stands above the Shield on a green and gold wreath. Absent from its design are any royal symbols (i.e. a royal crown); a distinction shared with a few other Provincial Arms. The Latin motto that appears at the bottom of the Arms reads UT INCEPIT FIDELIS SIC PERMANET (Loyal she began; loyal she remains), and reflects the province's Loyalist history—the British refugees from the American Revolution that settled throughout various regions of Ontario.
In 1972, an Order-in-Council of the Ontario government adopted a highly-stylized version of its Arms in order to update its traditional heraldic design for a modern world. In 1994, to clearly differentiate the Ontario Coat of Arms from heraldic devices, the word "Ontario" was made a permanent part of the design. It is the only province or territory in Canada to utilize a graphic representation of this centuries-old art form.
Don't forget to add this beautiful Canadian provincial Coat of Arms coin to your collection!
• Your coin includes an exceptional reproduction of the Coat of Arms of Ontario.
• 11th coin in a series!
• Your coin is struck in 14-karat gold and limited to only 500 coins worldwide.
Your coin includes an exceptional reproduction of the Coat of Arms of Ontario first adopted in 1868 and finalized in 1909. The central shield features three polished maple leaves on a single stem beneath a cross. The shield is crowned with a bear standing on a striped wreath and flanked on the left and right sides by a moose and a deer, both standing upright. The banner beneath them bears the motto "UT INCEPIT FIDELIS SIC PERMANET," meaning "Loyal she began, loyal she remains." The polished reverse field is engraved with the words "CANADA" and "Ontario," the date "2013," and the face value of "300 DOLLARS."
• At no additional cost to you, your coin comes encapsulated and presented in a maroon flock-lined clamshell case.
• Your coin is protected by a black sleeve and accompanied by a serialized certificate—your proof of ownership for this low mintage coin and evidence that your coin has been individually inspected by our resident quality assurance specialists.
Order your coin today!
- Mintage: 500
- Composition: 14-karat gold (58.33% gold, 41.67% silver)
- Finish: proof
- Weight (g) 60
- Diameter (mm) 50
- Edge: serrated
- Certificate: serialized
- Face value: 300 dollars
- Artist: Royal Canadian Mint engravers (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)